Second developer in PR drive to take over Carriageworks scheme?

You may be aware of a second developer emerging with an interest in developing the Carriageworks and Westmoreland House site. Marc Pennick, through his company Fifth Capital London, has drawn together a team of London consultants to work up competing plans for the future of the site.

Don’t worry though; this isn’t derailing Knightstone who are still the Council’s preferred developer for the Carriageworks and Westmoreland House. The local housing association emerged from an intensive selection process in 2013 run by the City. It had the Community Vision at its heart and the possible use of compulsory purchase powers to make sure that something actually happens. Knightstone’s plans are on our website and were the result of wide consultation last summer.

Nevertheless, Marc Pennick says that he has now acquired a controlling interest in the form of an option to buy the site, presumably with the help of the current owners, Comer Homes (who still list the site as one of their “future” developments). We don’t yet know the terms of the option, how long it lasts or whether Pennick intends to build himself or sell on to a third developer.

Pennick and his PR consultant Ralph Scott of Four Communications have been writing to local organisations and councillors asking to meet them to explain the plans. The letter says that he is “seeking to bring forward a mixed use scheme that addresses the aspirations of both the City and the local community, with due consideration given to the listed buildings.” Sounds good, although with no apparent track record, at least not on the internet, we can only take him at his word.

In the spirit of openess and because we’re jolly good sorts, members of the CAG Liaison Group will next week be meeting Marc Pennick, Ralph Scott, Assael Architects and his planning consultants to find our more. We’ll let you know what they say!

In the meantime we’re also staying on the ball with Knightstone and will be talking to them about their progress and the timescale for submitting a planning application.  We’ll let you know what they say as well.

Council approves compulsory purchase

On the 4th March the City Council’s cabinet approved renewal of the compulsory purchase powers and working up of a scheme with Knightstone.

Film of the meeting is on YouTube - go to 42 minutes in.  Lots of plaudits for the work the community has done bringing everything forward – well done everyone :-)

You might also be interested to see (at 25’15″) that Marc Pennick of Fifth Capital turned up and spoke about his own proposals for the site.  This didn’t alter the Council’s decision to back the compulsory purchase recommendation.

New report to Cabinet

The City Council is putting a new report about the Carriageworks to its Cabinet tomorrow (Tuesday 4 March).

The report says that, subject to a development agreement being entered into with Knightstone and planning permission being obtained, that the Council use compulsory purchase powers to aquire the site “for the purposes of comprehensive re-development”. This is a renewal of the authorisation previously given on 31 May 2012.

You can see the full report at https://www.bristol.gov.uk/committee/2014/ua/ua000/0304_6.pdf

Second developer for the Carriageworks?

It seems that a second developer may be emerging for the Carriageworks and Westmoreland House.

Assael Architects sign

The sign of London based Assael Architecture has been placed on the hoardings on Ashley Road so, unless it’s a bit of guerilla advertising, it could  indicate that someone other than Knightstone has started working up a scheme for the site.  This could tie in with reports of an individual visiting local businesses to tell them that a new planning application is being prepared.

So who is behind this scheme?  No developer has spoken to CAG about it so all we can do is speculate. It could be the owners of the site, Comer Homes, who are an established client of Assael Architecture.  Or it could be the rather mysterious Fifth Capital London who suddenly popped up late last year asking for a meeting with the Council to discuss their plans.  Online checks show the company is owned by Marc Pennick and possibly his wife but with little apparent turnover or assets how they would manage to bring in Assael and deliver a multi-million pound development is anyone’s guess.

The City Council and Knightstone have both confirmed that their approach is unchanged by this latest development.  So they’ll be working up a planning application through the first part of 2014 and aim to acquire the site for development later in the year, using compulsory purchase powers if necessary.

Do let us know if you bump into anyone representing the mystery developer.  We’d love to invite them to a community meeting so that we can all find out more!

Your memories of Westmoreland House?

CAG and Montpelier Conservation Group have been awarded  funding from the Heritage Lottery Fund to explore your memories of Westmoreland House. The project focuses of the short period of the building’s life when it was occupied in the 1960s to early 1980s.

Westmoreland House: An Oral and Visual History will gather stories and memories from people who worked in the building, or who knew it when it was a working building. The stories will be recorded and kept, along with a collection of images, plans, press cuttings – whatever documents we can find – to tell the story of Westmoreland House when it had windows.

If you have any information about Westmoreland House, or stories to tell about it, please email stories@carriageworks.org.uk

To find out more go to the Stories page.

 

Knightstone confirmed as preferred developer

At our meeting on 2 December it was announced that Knightstone have been selected by the City Council as the preferred developer or the Carriageworks and Westmoreland House.

That may not sound like big news, given that Knightstone were the only contender, but in actual fact it has involved a huge amount of work on the part of Knightstone themselves in preparaing their final submission and officers of the Council in evaluating that submission, making sure not only that everything is compliant with the very lengthy procurement processes but also that the scheme will deliver what everyone wants.

The news was announced at the meeting by Jan Reichel, the project officer from Bristol City Council. Mike Day from Knightstone and Jonathan Platt the architect then summarised the proposals.

The Knightstone Proposals

The proposals are based on Option 3 which emerged during last summer’s consultation and see a linear park leading through the site from opposite the top of Picton Street, turning KproposalDec2013at a new square or market place behind the Carriageworks, and then rejoing Stokes Croft through two of the Carriageworks archways. On the ground floor facing Stokes Croft, Ashley Road and facing the linear park there will be retail and community uses. On the upper floors there will be flats, and a small amount of housing at the rear of the site. In total there will be 110 residential units with a mixture of tenures including affordable, market rent and market sale. The flats and houses will be built to Code for Sustainable Homes Level 4.

The proposals retain the Grade II* Carriageworks, keeping as much of the interior as possible and adding (or replacing, depending upon how you interpret historic photos) a top floor.

No4 Ashley Road is listed but in extremely poor condition, even when viewed from a distance. A Planning Inspector has previously said that its demolition would be justifiable, and this is the course the Knightstone propose to take.

The intention for Westmoreland House, however, is for it to be retained – at least its structure will be mostly retained, the main differences being the removal of part of the rear and a raising of part of the top floor to the height of the lift and services block.

It should be noted that these proposals will inevitably change. To date no-one has been able to access the site for surveys, and this will not happen until early 2014. Also the comments of the planners have to be taken on board and viability constantly reappraised. So changes are inevitable but we will keep you informed as they emerge.

What happens next?

Early in the new year the City Council and Knightstone will get onto the site to carry out all the necessary surveys. Once they’ve got the information the architects will finalise the plans with the aim of submitting a planning application in the Autumn 2014. There will be further public consultation on the proposals in the late Spring / early Summer 2014.

At the same time the City Council will attempt to purchase the site from the owners through negotiation. If this proves unsuccessful then the City Council can seek to use compulsory purchase powers.

A new player?

At the meeting we heard that a company had approached the City Council saying that they had acquired an interest in the Carriageworks site. It’s not known what this interest is, if it relates to the whole site or part, or why they have left it until now to state their interest. But the important message is that the City Council is committed to working with Knightstone and acquiring the site to enable their scheme to go ahead. Anyone else  would have to obtain planning permission and virtually be on site before there is any change in the Council’s direction.

The oral and visual history project

To wrap up the evening, another piece of great news. Montpelier Conservation Group have been given funding by the Heritage Lottery to run an oral history project about Wesmoreland House. It is a bit of a ghost building for while its presence is clearly felt in the area, there is little recorded history about its past. So the project is wanting to the record the memories of people who worked at Westmoreland House and will be keen to see any photographs that might still exist of the building in its prime – there are stories of a boardroom panelled with exotic hardwoods and marble floors! The project will be starting in January and will be training up local volunteers who are interested in recording people’s memories. To get in touch with the project email stories@carriageworks.org.uk

Who is the preferred developer?

On 15th November Knightstone Housing Association submited to the City Council their proposals for the Carriageworks and Westmoreland House. The proposals were then evaluated by the Council and representatives of CAG.

An announcement about whether Knightstone are to be appointed ‘preferred developer’ will be made at a CAG community meeting at 5:30pm on Monday 2 December at the Salvation Army, Ashley Road.

Lottery project

We’ll also have some exciting news about a Lottery funded project exploring the history of Westmoreland House. Come along to find out more!

We’re getting there!

It’s been a slog, but almost two years after we finished writing the vision we’re hopefully about to hit another huge milestone. Whether its end of the beginning or the beginning of the end or somewhere in the middle we can’t be sure, but it’s better here than back there! Come along and celebrate (probably in the Pipe and Slippers after as well).

Lori and Julian