Vision Statement: “The Carriageworks development will make a positive contributionto the economy, culture and environment of Stokes Croft and surrounding area. It will be a mixed use development that is home to many activities, businesses and people. It will be a buzzing, vibrant place for people from the local communities and from further afield. We want to see the dereliction of this site addressed as a priority and are keen to work with any organisation that embraces our vision for the future.”
We are concerned that:
- The proposals are for an inward looking development
- 94% of the development will be for residential use. This is not a mix of uses.
- The design does not invite public interest or entry to the site.
- The design fails to integrate with the immediate community and the communities that surround it and are impacted by the proposals.
- The development will not make a positive contribution to the economy, culture and environment of Stokes Croft and the surrounding area
- There is a limited number of retail units.
- The exact use and users of the retail units have not been established so it is impossible to say that there will be any contribution to the local economy.
- There are many questions about the way the retail units will be managed. Only vague answers have been given to these questions.
- The Cultural Strategy fails to give any certainty that the scheme will make a positive contribution to the local area.
Our great concern is that the development will be anything but a buzzing and vibrant place. As a result it will have a damaging effect on the character and identity of the area.